Pages

Spanish Rice Pudding

Friday 28 April 2017

Only a few weeks to go until we meet the new member of our family. I honestly cannot wait.

Literally.

I'm suffering from all the usual end of pregnancy discomfort, which is keeping me a bit grumpy at times. None of my clothes fit now, not even my pregnancy clothes, and mundane activities such as eating, sleeping or breathing have become a real struggle. I am tired and ridiculously hormonal. Crying on almost a daily basis about stuff which generally hasn't bothered me at all. And have aching rubs and heartburn. Have to pee at least 4 times during the night. And I need a haircut but can't be bothered to roll to the hairdresser.

Not to mention the piles.


So where is my hyperactive old me, I don't know anymore. I am now to be found either sleeping, crying, moaning, eating or expelling wind.

I'm barely leaving the house now due to the pain in my hips stopping me from walking. I just sit on the sofa and glare at the people around me or demand snacks. In fact I may ban people from coming into the house unless they bring food.

Fat, achy, tired, miserable and hungry. I'm a ray of sunshine, aren't I!!


So as the due date approaches, I'll be lowering down the number of posts I publish, from once a week to once a month. 

Once the baby is here, I'll take a break for a couple of months until life gets back to normal. If ever.

So this week's recipe is not something I planned. It is a direct consequence of having severe baby brain which made me buy five 4 pints milk bottles just for 3 people and rice to feed the whole neighborhood. 

WHAT YOU NEED

2 Cup Pudding Rice
2 Cinnamon sticks
Zest from 2 lemons
2 Whole Cloves
1.5 Pint Whole Milk
1 Cup Sugar



WHAT YOU DO

Soak the rice, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves in the milk in a heavy saucepan for 1 hour.

After soaking, bring the rice mixture to a boil on high heat, uncovered. Add the sugar and lemon zest. When it starts to boil, lower the heat to medium and cook stirring carefully, until desired consistency, about 25 to 35 minutes. Be aware that as the rice cools it thickens.


Transfer the rice pudding into individual ramekins and dust the top with ground cinnamon.

Leave it to cool, then store it in the fridge – to prevent a skin forming, cover the ramekins with clingfilm. The rice pudding should be left for at least three hours, ideally 24 hours, before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.