Pages

Superhealthy Courgette Pizza Crust

Friday 29 July 2016

Last week I run my first muddy run with my dearest friend Paula in support to Cancer Research UK. It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever done, and one of the trickiest at the same time. While the experience was awesome enough to have me coming back for more, I found it emotionally a bit upsetting.


When I was 20, I hardly knew anyone with cancer. My grandma had died of it, but that was years ago when I was much younger and I didn’t know much about it. Fast forward 10 years and it’s an entirely different matter.

Suddenly, cancer was all around me. My mum, who fought and won. My dad, who fought and didn’t. My aunty. Two very close friends. This is to name just a few. It’s everywhere I turn.

And that’s the thing with cancer. You never think it’s going to affect you. But sadly for most of us it will. And, the older you get, the more prevalent it becomes.


This is the reason why I decided to race for life this year. Because this has to stop. Because a cure has to be found and we can all do our bit to help.

When I arrived to the Exeter Arena, I was greeted by a sea of pink and lots of enthusiastic people. There we were, thousands of women of all sizes and shapes, dressed in pink, running together showing cancer that hell hath no fury like a woman in pink.

We ran 5k together, there were no competitiveness, just people helping each other, getting dirty, having fun and raising money for such an important cause.


Race for Life was an empowering experience, it was genuinely humbling seeing everyone pulling together and running in support of their loved ones. I spent quite a long time reading the notes on everyone’s backs to see who they were running for, some messages were upsetting and some up-lifting. It highlighted just how many people are affected by Cancer and how many people really care enough to try to make a difference.

Blisters, scratches, bruises, we had the lot! But, would do this or something similar again?  Absolutely. And I hope you decide to join us next year

.
This week recipe is a nutritious, healthy and easy to prepare dish that will get you ready for the run! 


WHAT YOU NEED

For the crust

8 cups grated courgette
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2/3 cup flour
3 tsp dried oregano
2 eggs, beaten
A pinch of salt

For the filling

Tomato Paste
Mozzarella
Cured Ham
Pepperoni

Any other ingredient of your choice!



WHAT YOU DO

Preheat oven to 200c.

In a large bowl, mix the courgette with the cheddar cheese, flour, oregano, eggs, and salt.

With your hands, incorporate all of the ingredients together.


Place the courgette mixture onto a piece of parchment paper set on something solid that will make it easy to transfer into the oven.


Using your fingers, spread the zucchini crust mixture to form a circle about 1cm thick. Pinch the edges up so that it forms a nice crust. Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust starts to brown. With the help of a plate, turn the pizza base and bake the other side for an additional 5 minutes.


Remove from the oven and top the pizza with the tomato paste and any additional toppings that you'd like. Then, bake again for 5 minutes.

Serve hot and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.