Pages

Cava, Berries & Bacon Brussels Sprouts

Friday 11 December 2015

Only 18 days till Christmas! I can’t believe is that time of the year already! It’s so close I can almost taste it.

Things have been pretty busy over here at Tiny Marmalade HQ and I've started to wonder where I can find my own elves to help with jamming, labelling and packing up all your orders! I'm so super excited about Christmas this year, not that I'm ever not ... any excuse to eat all the foods! 

There is absolutely no question; Christmas is MY favourite time of the year.



I love the lights and the decorations, the music, the carols, the smell of mulled wine and mince pies, drinking hot chocolate and wearing mittens

I love shopping for gifts. I love seeing people's faces unwrapping presents. I love secret Santa games and pulling Christmas Crackers,

And I absolutely love spending time with friends and family. Playing board games. Crafting. Talking about the same old stories, like that year Santa left me a Mariachi outfit under the tree. Yes, I'm not making that up. I was 16th and all I got for Christmas was a Mariachi outfit. A proper one with its hat and a Tequila bottle. I still don't really know what Father Christmas was trying to tell me.
This year I'm super extra excited because it will be the first Christmas in our new home. That means this year most of our family traditions and magic moments will begin. What sort of cakes will we bake, which keepsakes we will make, which decorations we will choose, what music we will listen to.


But maybe the most important thing is where we will put our Christmas tree. To me, the Christmas tree is possibly the most important symbol of Christmas.

The Christmas tree has a strong symbolic meaning to me. Starting with the roots, that keep us linked to the earth. to the others, to our home. The lights, representing the hope. The decorations, which are our memories from the past making us feel grateful for out time together in the present. And the presents, that shows us to be generous and grateful for what we have.


My family Christmas tree is not color-coordinated. It does not  have the most beautiful or bejewelled ornaments. But it has a meaning. And I love that. To me, that’s what Christmas is all about.

This week’s recipe is a truly Christmassy one. Brussels Sprouts with a twist. An absolutely amazing combination that will make everyone eat their greens with a smile.

WHAT YOU NEED

1Kg Brussels Sprouts
100gr Mixed Dried Berries
200gr Smoked Bacon Lardons
2cup Cava or Prosecco

1L Water
A pinch of salt



WHAT YOU DO

If the sprouts are still on the stalk, twist each one off. When they are loose, trim any yellow or damaged leaves, wash and then trim the base.


Bring 1L water to boil in a big pan with a pinch of salt. Boil your sprouts just for 5 minutes. This will make them get perfectly tender with an amazingly bright green colour. Boil just for 5 minutes so  they don't end up soggy or waterlogged. Drain and leave aside.


Put the bacon in a frying pan to high heat and cook stirring continuously until brown and crispy. Then add the berries and the Brussels sprouts and cook together for around 5 minutes. Finally add the cava and simmer.


Serve warm and eat while you sing Christmas Carols!




No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.