Pages

Anchovies, Capers & Swiss Chard Tartlets

Friday 7 August 2015

I love barbecues. The whole ritual around it, the great atmosphere of real charcoal, lighting the fire, a glass (or two) of pimms, the smell of grilled meat and vegetables, talking with friends around the ashes. 

But, sadly enough, I have never had one. Until last weekend. 


You are probably wondering why I don´t have a barbecue if I like them so much... well, I guess I have never found the right time to buy it. When I want to buy something I normally know exactly what I want. And this time that meant that the barbacue I wanted was completely out of my budget.

But last Sunday everything changed. We went to our local Car Boot and there was a lovely man selling these massive kettle barbecues I have been dreaming with since I moved to the UK. At a really impressively cheap price. So I had to buy one.


Immeddiately, I checked the weather forecast. Rain. Rain. Showers. Rain. Showers. More rain.

Not impressed, really.

I think there have not been a single day since June that has not rained at least once a day. How depressing is that? 

So here I am, with my shiny brand new barbecue waiting for me, while I stay at home looking out the window to see if it stops raining. But I won´t give up. I´ve checked the weather for the 10th time today and it looks like tomorrow we´ll have some sunny spells.


I have my fridge full of hamburgers, chicken, sausages, vegetables, beer and pimms. And as God is my witness I'm going to cope with the rain and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again.

In the meantime, I have been baking.  Half a loaf is better than none, and these Anchovies, Capers and Swiss Chard Tartlets have made that the latest rainy days become a bit more shiny.


WHAT YOU NEED

Makes 8 Tartlets

1 Shortcrust Pastry Roll
1cup Shredded Emmental or Cheddar Cheese
4 Eggs
1cup Double Cream
3tbsp Flour
1bunch Swiss Chards
2tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
50gr Capers
100gr Anchovies
Pepper to taste



WHAT YOU DO

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Let refrigerated pastry stand at room temperature 15 minutes, then gently unroll. Cut circles and place in a cupcake tray. Paper cupcake cases can also be used. 


Heat the olive oil in a pan and stir fry the chopped swiss chards for around 10 minutes.

In medium bowl, combine the eggs with the cream. Add the flour and season with pepper. As the anchovies and capers are quite salty, I would suggest not adding additional salt. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth and incorporated.  Add the chards and the cheese. Pour carefully over the pastry circles.


Bake for 40-50 minutes until the tartlets are puffed, golden brown, and set. Top with an anchovy and some capers and bake for a couple of more minutes.

Let stand 5 minutes, serve warm and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.