Pages

Lemon Curd & Coconut Cups

Friday 10 April 2015

Sometimes life gives us lemons.  I know when this happens we are supposed to do lemonade, but if there is something I could be eating nonstop is a good lemon curd. So instead of lemonade, when life gives me lemons... I ask my husband to prepare lemon curd for me.


Home-made lemon curd is one of these recipes he only knows how to prepare. Yes, I may be able to prepare a decent version of lemon curd, but it will never taste as my husband´s. He is a Master of the Universe preparing proper lemon curd: sweet, tangy, soft, velvety and mouthwatering. So although  It´s me who normally cooks at home, there are three things that are completely his kingdom: curds, mayonnaise and chicken milanese. 


Lemons are my favourite and my best. I love them raw, in marmalade, pickled, squeezed and even with a cold glass of gin and tonic. If there is anything in this world able to cheer me up that´s lemons. They are so bright and full of sunshine that make me feel happy.

If you’ve never tried lemon curd, then you’re seriously missing out… it really is one of life’s great pleasures. Lemon Curd is sweet, tart, and good on just about everything! Although at home it rarely lasts enough to be eaten with anything else but spoonful after spoonful.

This week recipe is a sure win combination: coconut and lemon curd. There no enough words to describe how amazing this ridiculous easy to make recipe is.

So next time life gives you lemons...

WHAT YOU NEED

For the coconut cases

150gr Dessicated Coconut
White of 4 Free Range Eggs

For the lemon curd

1 Free Range Egg
Juice and zest of 2 Lemons
125gr Sugar
50gr Butter

White Chocolate to decorate


WHAT YOU DO

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Separate the yolks from the whites. Add a pinch of salt and whisk. Add the coconut and mix.


Put spoonful of the mixture into a nonstick cupcake tin and shape them into cases with your hands.

Bake 20 minutes.


In the meantime, put the egg, lemon juice and zest, sugar and butter in a pan. Cook to medium heat stirring continuously for around 20 minutes until the ingredients are well combined and the curd is  creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally as it cools.

Remove the coconut cases from the oven and put in a cooling rack. Around 10 minutes later, fill each one with the lemon curd. 


Finally, melt the white chocolate in the microwave and decorate. You can add some berries or a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make them extra refreshing.

These Lemon Curd & Coconut Cups will last for around a week in the fridge. No they won´t.


2 comments:

  1. What if I say.....I've never tried Lemon curd! (Not if I am concerned) .
    Definitely I'll try to make this receipe...and mayonaisse and chicken milanese, (whatever it is... ) and let's see who is the Máster of the Universe!!! Hahahaha!!!! :P ....(lets continue with my well known " beef stew")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, if you haven't tried it.... is an absolute must!!! Lemon curd is the best thing ever!!!

    Chicken Milanese is pollo empanao de toda la vida :)

    ReplyDelete

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.