Pages

Frankfurters & Apple Muffins

Friday 14 November 2014

Lunch time in an office is one of the most interesting moments to take part in from an anthropological point of view. You can learn a lot from people by looking at their eating habits.


From my experience over quite a few years in different office environments, I would say that there are 6 types of people:


  • The whatever: the kind of person who, with their coat and gloves on and the car keys in their hand, realises, just after shutting the front door, that they will be hungry at some point and rushes to the fridge to pick whatever it is on it for lunch: a bag of raw bacon to be cooked in the microwave, a bundle of celery sticks, a bag of grated cheese, a packet of microwave popcorn.
  • The foresighted: the kind of person who keeps a weekly menu done in an excel spreadsheet on the fridge door, does the weekly shopping accordingly, and prepares their meals in a slow cooker the day before. 
  • The needy: the kind of person who doesn’t bring anything at all and asks the others for some breadcrumbs, or relies on their partner and then moans because what he has is not what they fancied.
  • The lazy: the kind of person who makes Greggs, KFC or McDonalds a bit richer every day.
  • The breakfaster: the kind of person who has porridge, crumpets or cereals for lunch. Even if they had the same for their actual breakfast.
  • The recycler: the kind of people who is able to create a brand new recipe using the leftovers from the last 3 or 4 days. Like the hamburger and ketchup pizza. Or the fish and pasta pies. 


The best moment of my office lunch time is when everyone opens their lunch box. As if it were Christmas Day, everyone seems to be really excited to see what the others have, followed by the same comments everyday “that looks yummy”, “did you make that”, “not tinned pasta again!”, “oh, fish!!!!!”. Yes, whoever who dares to bring fish to the office is hated for the whole week.

Maybe because I have a food blog or maybe because I’m Spanish, my lunch box seems to gather special attention. However, I shall confess that I am a “whatever”. So no excitement at all in my “bag of plain lettuce”, or my “plain asparagus with some salmon”. No paella in my lunchbox, what a disappointment!! No Chorizo, no Spanish Omelette, and certainly no homemade Gazpacho.


I used to have really amazing lunchboxes at my Spanish offices, when the lunch break was 2 hours long followed by a mandatory siesta of 30 minutes. No, just joking, I have never had a break longer than 30 minutes and I really feel sick after a siesta.

This week’s recipe is a genuine “whatever” one. I had to prepare something savoury for a party I was invited to and I didn’t have anything at all. Just a packet of frankfurters, some eggs and loads of apples that my friend Andrea gave me from her garden. My husband asked me, what are we talking to the party? The answer was clear… Whatever.


These savoury muffins were a total success: an amazing combination of flavours with a moist and soft texture, really easy to prepare and everyone loved them, especially the kids!!


WHAT DO YOU NEED

3 Apples
5 Frankfurters
3 Free Range Eggs
125gr Mayonnaise 
100ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
50gr Sugar
350gr Self Raising Flour
1tsp Oregano




WHAT DO YOU DO

Preheat oven to 180C.

Mix the mayonnaise with the olive oil and the eggs. Add the sugar and whisk until soft and smooth. 

Sift in the flour and mix. 

Cut the apples and the sausages in small pieces. Add to the mixture

Line a muffin tray with paper cases. Fill them 2/3 full and bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes.

Serve warm or cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.