Pages

Honey Mustard Roast Chicken

Friday 30 May 2014

For the past two years I have attempted to learn to knit. Apparently knitting can be super fun and addictive (should I start worrying about myself starting addictive but painful or frustrating activities?).


Anyway, I have tried and tried to knit quite a few times in my life. Lots of different people with much more advanced knitting skills (and with lots of patience) have unsuccessfully tried to show me how to knit properly. Is it possible that  some of us just aren't wired right? 

However, as you already know, I rarely give up. Some months ago I joined a knitting club in my lunch break (in my real work lunch break). Knitting is one of those things I love to do but I’m sadly unable to. Some people have what it takes, and some don’t. And there is nothing we can do about it.

But know what? I don’t blame myself. Anyhow, not everyone can knit! Dinosaurs can’t knit!! Maybe that’s irrelevant now they are extinct.


Years ago I tried with a jumper for one of my best friends, David. We have never talked about “the thing” after that. It is a completely taboo issue and life is better if we pretend it never happened. Then, when I was pregnant with my first baby, I tried to do a blanket. Although my husband believed it was cute and nice and adorable (of course it wasn’t!), I never used it. It was the result of my ineptitude. 

I have cast on (or almost!) many different projects, ranging in difficulty: slippers, scarfs, mobile socks…. Even a doll!! Her name is Rosy, and she’s… odd. This potentially could be because she was originally intended to be a monkey… Anyway, my little one seems to love it.


By following patterns, purling freestyle, knitting squares, watching You Tube tutorials, and after a lot of failed attempts I've found out what the problems are. What I have in my mind’s eye is not what ends up coming from the needles. Added to that, I am extremely slooooow - practically everything I've created is still in the needles, lost or feeding the fishes. Also -  when I knit, I cannot look at anything other than the needles. I feel just a bit intimidated by all the choices of projects that are out there, and that every time I see one of my colleagues’ projects I think to myself “I wonder if I’ll ever be able to do that”. Eek.

But nothing has to be perfect. 


So although my highly skilled knitting colleagues will be yelling the dreaded “undo-it” phrase to me, I have found my way to cope with my, let’s say, disability. If I find an extra stitch, I knit two together somewhere. If I can't see where I have dropped a stitch, then I make another somewhere else. It's a phone holder - not a wedding dress!

Anyway, the best part of the club is to knitalong for half an hour while enjoying a good conversation. And if I need a jumper I can always wait for this season sales!!


WHAT DO YOU NEED

1 Free range chicken
2 Apples
3 Sweet Potatoes
4tbsp Honey
3tsp French Dijon Mustard
100 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3tsp Lemon Juice
Salt, pepper and rosemary to taste.



WHAT DO YOU DO

Preheat oven to 200C.

In a bowl, mix the honey, mustard, lemon juice and olive oil and whisk until smooth and well combined.

Peel and cut sweet potatoes in slices and season with olive oil, pepper and salt.

Grease an oven tray by brushing some extra virgin olive oil.


Place the chicken in the middle and display the apples and sweet potatoes around. Tip: apples can be cut in slices or left entire. If you cut them in slices, the gravy will be tastier and thicker but you won’t probably see the apples after baking them. If you leave them entire, they will remain like that and will look and taste amazing in your plate. Additionally, you can put an apple inside the chicken.

Pour the honey and mustard dressing over the chicken. Sprinkle some rosemary and bake in the middle of the oven  for around 40 minutes.


When time is up, check the chicken is cooked through. Tip: the best way to tell if the chicken is done, insert a fork in the chicken. It should go in with ease and the juices should run clear.

Serve hot with some fresh bread and bon appetite.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.