Pages

French Toast Rollups

Friday 28 February 2014

This week I've faced one of my most big fears.


It was half term and we went with the kids to Crealy Adventure Park. It is a great place to be, riding in the wonderful merry go round, visiting the rabbits and the goats, playing in the gardens.

But then suddenly, all that fun stops when you get into the indoor play area. There, surrounded by harmless ball pools, loud mouthed children, smelly dirty socks, and soft drinks, the most high, superfast and scariest slide ever can be found: the Red Devil Drop Slide.

This was not the first time we visited Crealy, so I knew “it” was going to be there.


I try to persuade the kids going into the indoor area… but they wanted to… OF COURSE they wanted…

I’m not a chicken, but believe me, this slide scares. The first time I went there, I didn't even get close to it. I looked at it from the distance wondering how a children play area was allowed to have what I started calling “the children-killer” or “the death slide”.

The children-killer has a big warming sign with a long list of things you cannot do in the slide, people who is not allowed to use it, parts of your body you can lose if you attempt to go down, and a “use only by your own risk” phrase written in bright red scary ink.

There is a much more smaller blue version of the children-killer with soft balls at the bottom. And my 4 years old wanted to try it. It scared me as well the first time, I must admit, but he was so excited I couldn't stop him with my own fears. So off we went. Around 100 times.

I don’t know if it was due to tiredness, excitement or a fleeting lunacy but I suddenly said: let’s try the Red Devil!!!

One minute later there we were. On the top. Seeing a near-vertical drop of around 10 metres high below us. My most basic survival instincts telling me that was not right.


Scary, isn't it? “Yes mummy. You go down, I’ll stay here looking”.  What could I do? Really, what was I supposed to do? My little boy looking at me. The Red Devil looking at me. Eager. Excited. Proud. Defiant. I had to do it. I had to show you should face your fears.

I sat on the top. And suddenly I realized it was ok to be scared. It was ok to run, hide when nobody could find me, cry.

But it was too late. The impatient sweaty hand of a teenager pushed me down the slide. And off I went down, down, down the slide. 


And know what? It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! The coolest thing by far I have never ever done. 

Take that, Red Devil! 


And after 4 hours rolling down the slide, nothing better than a nutritious and energetic snack with strawberry, cream cheese and chocolate.


WHAT DO YOU NEED

- 8 white bread slices
- 1 Egg
- Cream Cheese 
- Chocolate spread
- 5 Strawberries
- 100 gr White sugar with a pinch of cinnamon
- 100 ml Milk
- Sunflower oil


WHAT DO YOU DO

Place the slices on the working surface and flatten them slightly with a rolling pin. Spread 4 with chocolate and 4 with the cheese and put some strawberry pieces on top.


Roll each slice up. Then, soak in milk, egg and sprinkle with some sugar.


Pour enough olive oil to half cover the rolls in a deep saucepan and heat over high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, slip the rolls into it. Turn them gently until they are golden brown on all sides. 



T
ransfer the rolls to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. 


Serve preferably warm with fresh strawberries. 

1 comment:

  1. The slide seems really dangerous!! (well done), and the roll-ups seems...sorry, I KNOW they are really delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.