Pages

Mum´s meatloaf

Friday 25 October 2013

Food is a powerful memory. From the day we arrive into this world until our very last days, food is whenever a social event takes place, no matter how happy or sad it is.

It’s amazing how our taste buds work, linking a particular flavour to some of the most important moments of our life. Sometimes more distinctive than words, music or pictures.

Cheese melting reminds me of the time we were eating those warm square patterned sandwiches made in our brand new sandwich toaster with my siblings.

Quince jelly takes me back to when l was 16 years old, when I started to discover how amazing life could be.

Chicken goujons with fries and salad make me remember those big family meals during the summer when nobody cared who was eating what and we were always allowed to have a big ice cream.

Mint candies will always remind me my father. Liquorice my mother. Ice cream my sister. Coke my brother. 

Chocolate with almonds my grandma.

Raisins will be always linked to my two little boys.

And every time I eat ‘Duck Magret’ l immediately return to my wedding day.


Being far away from home is not always easy.


This week recipe is to relieve my home sickness. It is not the most memorable dish, however, my mum used to cook it for us regularly. We waited starving hungry in anticipation for my dad to arrive from his job and as soon as he walked in the door, our meal was dished up and we sat together enjoying a family meal. They were good days, bad days and just normal days. But maybe is because of this that it brings me a mixture of home, warmth, comfort and a certain melancholy.


I hope you all will enjoy cooking it.


WHAT DO YOU NEED

100ml Double cream
500gr Minced pork / Chicken
90gr Walnuts
200gr Prunes
300gr Bacon rashers
200gr Smoked bacon lardons
3 Eggs
Mixed Herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
  


WHAT DO YOU DO

Preheat the oven to 200°.

Cover a deep oven pan with the bacon rashers and reserve.


 Put the meat, eggs, herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until having an uniform consistency. The add the cream and mix again.


Fry the smoked bacon lardons in a pan until brown and crispy. Add to the mixture and stir. Then add the prunes and the walnuts.


Pour the mixture into the oven pan, and cover the top with the remaining bacon rashers.


Place the pan in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 min. Then, turn down the temperature to 170° and bake for another 15 – 30 min. Check with a knife that the meat is well cooked.

Allow to cold completely before removing from the mould.


Cut into thick slices and serve. This time I've served it with sauteed sliced potatoes with onion and Cherry and Rioja jam. A glass of red Rioja wine adds the magic final touch to this dish.

You can eat it warm or cold.

Another suggestion is to add green olives and feta cheese instead of prunes and walnuts to add a Mediterranean twist to your table.


2 comments:

  1. Your menus are inspirational. Makes my mouth water just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment! It's an easy and nice recipe you can prepare at home. If you decide to do so, please let me know the result!

    ReplyDelete

A blog grows with your comments. Thank you for taking the time of leaving yours here.